Sunday, October 30, 2011

mac-n-squash-n-cheese

who knew? apparently all sorts of people -- but I finally found out about putting butternut squash in macaroni and cheese and it is really good. You can use just a little very sharp cheddar for flavor and it looks very cheesy from the squash.Some recipes I found just add a little to the sauce, some use mostly squash with a little broth and some ricotta and cheddar. I roasted the squash but then needed to steam it a little because the outsides were tough and didn't mash (a food processor might have done it but that's more cleaning than the steamer) and I sauteed some onion and added some butter and flour to make a roux with a little milk and the squash and grated cheese -  but I think I ended up with way too many dirty pans and bowls. I'll try again and see if I can come up with a streamlined version that's as yummy -- even Evan thought it was good and he knew it had squash in it. Let me know if you try it, especially if you find a way that uses less pots and pans!

No comments:

Post a Comment