Thursday, October 6, 2011

Yaki Soba with Spaghetti Squash

Today I used spaghetti squash instead of noodles. We liked it a lot but if you are trying to use this dish as a way to sneak veggies to your kids it won't work. The noodles version seems to "hide" a lot of vegetables so you feel you are getting noodles mostly, the squash version looks beautiful but you know  you are seeing/eating a dish of veg. Even though I use whole wheat thin spaghetti these days, I assume the squash is more nutritious and I'm sure it has less calories. Today I included some edamame, slaw mix (on sale from HyVee), carrots, onion, broccoli, cauliflower (sale also! I think at Schnucks), celery,  green pepper, water chestnuts....

I used a new four-part Asian spice combo from Aldi - the only disappointment I've had from Penzeys was their Chinese 5-spice (might as well be just cinnamon) so when I saw this I picked it up despite my mistrusts of cheapo spices. There is 5-spice, "Mandarin", Chinese Garlic seasoning, and spicy Szechuan (I think) and you can open whichever one you want from the divided jar. I used the Mandarin and garlic ones and it was pretty tasty. Made a great dinner with a baked sweet potato and whole wheat bread & better.

if you missed the yaki soba here's a link:
http://eatfastandhealthy.blogspot.com/2011/02/yaki-soba-cooks-fast.html

No comments:

Post a Comment